Saturday, October 22, 2011

5 x 7 oil studies

Here are the small (5x7 inch)studies I did during the Moab Plein Air event. They are my favorite paintings accept for the one of Castle valley. I think the reason I like them so much is the fast freshness of them, the strong technique..which may be more evident at a small scale. Its funny, they are painted on MFD primer with one layer of gesso, really an after thought, but I enjoyed painting them: That might be the Key.


This first one was painted in the morning as the sun was rising. The shadow was racing down the side of the cliff.



This last one is a Nocturne. I have painted many paintings of night, just never at night. It was hard because I would look at the landscape lit up with a full moon, then use my flash light muffled by my hand to illuminate my palette and painting. It takes a while for your eyes to become readjusted to the moon light. I had a hard time determining if I was actually seeing color; I knew there was value, but when I tried to assign color to a certain area my mind and eyes played tricks on me. "is that red...???"


This is what my set up looked like, I took the photo the next morning.

1 comment:

  1. Todd, I wish I could see them in person, I bet the colors are so much richer and prettier, the monitor never does the justice, I hate it. they all are so awesome especially the night one, I always wanted to paint one myself but it is so intimidating. And the other thing about good painting I agree with you is that you move quickly as whole painting rather then fuss about busy work then it usually turns out so much better. I can't wait till see you and Lara in few weeks, your paintings are exceptional, now I am going to paint something. Kyoung

    ReplyDelete